Assan's mill was built in the year 1853 and it was the first steam powered mill in Romania. The mill is located in Bucharest in the Obor-Lizeanu area.Today the mill is in a very advanced state of decay but ironically it is marked in the documents of the Ministery of Culture as a national and industrial patrimony and also a valuable historical monument. Construction started in 1853 on a piece of land bought by Gheorghe Assan from Epitropia Ghica but in the years that followed it was extended on the surrounding land that was eventually bought from the locals as well.
The mill was built in a time when there were no brick factories in Bucharest. The machines that were needed for the construction were bought from the "Siegel" Company in Vienna. They were transported on the Danube and from Giurgiu to Bucharest in just a month. In 1865 Gheorghe Assan separates from his associate an took full control of the mill, but after his death in 1866 it was left to his wife Alexandrina who left it to her two sons who had just completed their studies abroad in 1884.
In 1894 the two brothers created a new section for paints and during that period the mill would produce 7 train wagons of material in just 24 hours. The main building itself and the original mill is still standing to this day but it is in a critical situation. The architectural features are still visible such as the towers and the general medieval citadel design of the exterior.
The mill that was constantly maintained by the owners and was now known as the Obor Mill was nationalised in 1948. During that year many illegal raids were conducted by the communists and Basil (Vasile) Assan, the last remaining owner of the mill and the son of Gheorghe was arrested. He was later tortured and pushed to his death off the 5th floor of the Police Headquartes in Bucharest, but his family was told that he killed himself.
Although it was ignored for a long time the mill is included in an Urban-Ecological project to revitalize the area by making a selfsustaing agro comunity.